1. I have been using Motions moisturizer on my hair as you don't recommend All Ways anymore. What are you using now that All Ways has changed their formula?
I use UBH Lotion creme and Dew regularly. (1-3-2006 Update: I have
not used Motions since UBH creme was developed in 10-2003)
2. Is it true that you should avoid moisturizing products that contain mineral oil and petrolatum ? And if so, why?
Mineral oil and petrolatum are not moisturizers they are lubricants. They sit on the hair like liquid saran wrap. The biggest problem is that they dont penetrate and go were the oil is really needed which is the innermost part of the hair. Conduct this test yourself. Take a graham cracker and put it in a glass of mineral oil and leave it for about an hour. A graham cracker, no matter how long it sits in the mineral oil will not absorb it. A graham cracker is a lot more porous than your hair yet it never absorbs the mineral oil. These oils just sit on your hair, not penetrating the hair where the oil actually needs to be, thus the reason they are not the best oils for our hair.
3. I cannot use a spray type of moisturizer, it just makes my hair more kinky. What do you suggest?
I suggest a creme moisturizer if you think you need more oils.
4. Also, is Keratin a form of protein or is it OK in a moisturizer?
Keratin is protein and it NOT good used in a moisturizer, because protein
makes the hair purposely (I dont want hard hair)
5. Have you ever tried Keracare jojoba oil moisturiser?
If so how did you find it for your relaxed hair?
Nope, never tried it.
6. I need to stimulate my scalp as often as I can. At the moment, I am using your hair care guide, I have read your book and I am using your products. I wash my hair once a week. I love the feel of the conditioner on my scalp. Would it hurt if I put a few drops of pure menthol or peppermint oil in the Dew moisturizer?
If you dont mind smelling minty it is not a problem however, Dew is
not put on the scalp and the scalp is what you are trying to stimulate.
No need to put a stimulant in your moisturizer.
7. I've noticed that you speak highly of the All Ways Oil Moisturizer. I noticed on the ingredient list that it does not list water as an ingredient. Since most hair lotions have water, I assume this one has it, just does not list it. Furthermore, you thrive on a moisturizer main ingredient as being water. Am I purchasing the right product or are you talking about a different All Ways Oil Moisturizer?
Some time back I found out All Ways formula has changed! When they changed
the bottle, they changed the formula. I am in the process of updating
the website and making comments in every instance that I no longer use
this product because it no longer contains water as the first ingredient!
A requirement for moisturizing black hair! (1-3-2006 Update: I have
not used Motions or any other moisturizer since UBH creme was developed
8. How straight will my hair be using the dew and curling method. I am used to my hair being pretty smooth and straight. If I don't blow dry it, my hair will be very "puffy" and wild.
Try the curling iron straightening technique with the Dew (no UBH conditioner,
it inhibits movement because of the oil) and a conditioner you put on
an rinse out in the shower. Then spray the Dew on and dry your hair
under the hooded dryer. (If the hair is still a little wet close to
the scalp you can use the blow dryer just briefly to dry there to keep
steam from burning your head when you use the curling iron. Then section
your hair and use the curling iron to straighten. I recommend doing
this method immediately after you wash as opposed to letting your hair
dry overnight as the hair will be softer and easier to straighten immediately
after drying. This is exactly how I did my hair this morning and I am
8 weeks into my relaxer so my hair is getting pretty tight at the roots.
After I finished it is very soft and straight.
9. You should add two words to the title of your "Dew" product. "From Heaven". I am SO pleased with the product. Is it normal for my ends to feel dry with the use of your Dew product?
If you are close to a retouch you might need to switch to a creme moisturizer.
About 2 weeks before my retouch, when I was relaxing my hair, Dew did
not have enough oil to help seal moisture in the hair.
10. I noticed that on the bottle, it advertises that it gives your hair shine, but my hair didn't seem to be very shiny.
Dew makes the hair shine when it is used with a curling iron (I should include that caveat)
11. I'd like to buy a bottle of dew but right now I'm unemployed and I wont be able to buy until next month. Your hair is nice. I noticed that your Dew has coconut oil and lanolin in it. Are these the best things to put on the hair every day? They're not too heavy? And I noticed that the first ingredient of your conditioner is Aloe Vera. Is pure aloe o.k to put on the hair every day? Also, I noticed that you said brushes aren't good. How do I get the edges of my hair to stay straight without a brush? I like my edges really smooth. I'm anal about my hair!
Genene, I would never put straight coconut oil and lanolin on my hair at any time. The Dew is very light. Also Aloe Vera if the protein in the conditioner, it is not in my Dew. Instead of purchasing the Dew first, I would recommend you get a copy of the book as the book details why these ingredients are necessary. Brushes are okay for maintainance but not to be used to stimulate hair growth.
12. Would you suggest that I use other products as a supplement to the Dew or is using the conditioner once a week and then applying the Dew daily enough for my hair?
It depends on how dry your hair is and how you style. Some people use
the Dew and that works for them. Others like the lotion creme. Some
people like to use them both together. It really depends on how dry
YOUR hair is and YOUR style.
13. Cathy, after applying Dew to my hair it feels
a little softer, however, I don't see the shine. The roots of my hair
looks fine, however, the ends still look brittle/dry. Am I'm doing something
Nope you are not doing anything wrong. Dew's shine appears with the
curling iron. Use a hair polisher for the shine and to smooth the cuticle.
14. I tried the Always moisturizer, but I have
a better one, as that one left my hair drier and drier with each use.
I would like to know if you've ever tried Clairol's Textures and Tones
creme hairdress? That is what I use. Yes, the first ingredient is water,
just as you recommend. It does have more oil than the Always product,
but I find that it gives my hair a softness and shine.
I have never used the creme hairdress you mentioned because I do not
put grease on my hair. I no longer use Allways because when they changed
the label, they changed the formula. They took out the water and added
protein. Protein should never be used in a moisturizer daily. I have
been remiss in updating the pages but I am getting this more and more
that people dont like Allways. I threw my bottle in the trash when I
reread the label and found out it had changed! I use UBH Lotion creme
and it has a lot of oil. Use what you have found works and your email
will get me on the stick this weekend to get those changes made! Updates
made May 10th.
15. What is your view point on moisturizers that have Mineral oils or any petrolatum product as an ingredient? I know you mentioned Motions but they too have mineral oil listed first in their ingredients. Do you know of any other cream moisturizers that can be used with the Dew? Have you ever thought of producing a cream moisturizer?
Most creme moisturizers on the market have mineral oil and petrolatum
in them. These products are not good because they really dont penetrate
the hair. We now have Lotion creme which is the best creme on the market.
No greasy mineral oil or petrolatum. It actually penetrates the hairshaft
to get to the source of the dryness!
16. Is an oil considered moisturizing? (I'm not talking about petroleum based grease).
An oil is NOT a moisturizer! Oils seal in moisture if moisture is there but only coats the hair when it is just layed on the hair without heat!
17. I did try your dew product but found that it is not good for me at this point because i am still trying to get my hair into good shape and i need oils. So do you think this hair spray i am looking at (which has many oils and some isobutane in it) Is it okay to use as a moisturizer?
Hairspray is not a moisturizer I dont care how much oil you put in it!
18. Would it be good to use a quick moisturizer when i don't have time to sit and comb pink lotion through my hair??
Why on earth would you COMB pink oil through your hair? Dew keeps my
hair soft even beyond 14 week. Use a light conditioner and rinse out
if you dont have time to deep condition.
19. I was wondering what your experience with Pink Oil was and why its not one of your favorites?
Pink Oil is very greasy and it used to stink. I still think it is too greasy.
20. I stopped using the Dew on a daily basis because it makes my hair frizzy and takes away the straightness even thought I mist very lightly. Instead I have been using a hair polisher to add moisture. Is this okay?
NO it is not okay - hair polish is NOT a moisturizer!
21. Has anyone ever said that when they use the dew on wet hair and let it air dry their hair comes curly/wavy? Is that OK for your hair to do that?
Because people are different as well as not everybodys hair responds
the same to every product, Dew doesnt really cause the hair to wave
if the hair is not wavy already. Airdrying simply allows the hair to
coil back in its own curl pattern even if it is relaxed. It may not
be as curly as the unprocessed hair but it still keeps the curl pattern
it previously had except a little straighter. When using under the dryer,
the heat helps loosen the curl. Is it okay for the hair to do that,
it is not a problem if it does, it is just your personal preference
that should be the deciding factor as to whether you like this or prefer
to dry with the dryer to obtain a bit straighter look.
22. I have started using your products over the weekend. I have natural hair and find your products to make my hair softer (from the first use) but it also looks very dry and dull. Can you recommend something else to use as well as dew?
Our lotion creme moisturizer is excellent for giving you the oils you
need and it makes the hair soft. Hair polish is the remedy for dull
23. Please share with me specifically which Motions Moisturiser you use and which "Polish" do you use?
As of this writing I no longer am using Motions and I just pick any
hair polish off the shelf that does not contain alcohol.
24. Do you think Gold Medal's Lavendar Creme Moisturizer is a good product for the hair. They boast of having collagen, lecithin, and protein as three beneficial products for the hair. I know you mentioned protein is not good. What do you think and what do you now recommend as a moisturizer since All Ways has added alcohol and protein to their moisturizer?
Angela, How are the ingredients Gold Medal mentions beneficial for
the hair? Unless they can tell you how they benefit the hair they are
merely additives. I have only found protein to benefit of the ingredients
you listed and depending on how protein is used the same can have an
adverse affect. Protein should not be used in the moisturing stage!
It makes the hair hard! You are mistaken about my saying protein not
being good. I have NEVER said that. It just must be used then rinsed
from the hair. As far as what I recommend now, only my Dew and UBH Lotion
25. I recently read your book, and I am excited
to start to use these techniques in caring for my natural and veerry
kinky hair(I like it that way). I'm looking for a creme moisturizer
suitable for use. I found one called Profectiv- Megagrowth anti-breakage
strengthener. I know that you don't endorse products that you haven't
tried, but I was wondering if you can tell me if the ingredients are
possibly acceptable for use. They are as follows: Soybean oil,Water
and Horsetail Extract and Sage Extract and Nettle Extract, Laneth 15,
Lanolin, Steareth-2, Steareth-20, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol
Dicaprylate/Dicaprate and PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone,
Collegen, Keratin, Wheat Protein, Panthenol, DMDM Hydantoin, Corn oil
and BHA and BHT, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Fragrence. I don't
know a lot about choosing a moisturizer as opposed to an oil or grease
(I a new grease free baby). If this does not sound acceptable, could
you tell me how to choose a good moisturizer(what ingredients to look
Anetra, although I do not endorse products that I have never used, I would under no circumstances even suggest this product is okay because the first ingredient is not water. The first ingredient must be water NOT Oil. Please look for another product.
26. I press my hair, so I use a creme moisturizer (Gold Medal's Lavender Creme Moisturizer). Do you still use and recommend Motions?
No I do not recommend Motions, I only recommend UBH Lotion Creme. I
am currently using my Dew spray moisturizer as well. Depending on my
style, Dew provides immediate moisture then the lotion creme helps lock
27. Do you use the "Motions Light Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion"?
I dont use Motions at all any more since I now have UBH lotion creme.
28. I ordered your book and your hair products. I've been using them for 2 weeks now. My hair is still very dry!! I use dew moisturizer and Mizani moisturizing hairdressing creme. What is a good creme moisturizer to use? What ingredients should I be looking for? Lanolin? Primose Oil?
Try spraying on the dew then apply UBH lotion moisturizer if you think
you need more oil. I really must warn you that perhaps the Mizani hairdressing,
if it contains protein could be what is making your hair still feel
dry. Instead of trying to tell you what CAN be in our moisturier I will
tell you what should not be in it. A good moisturizer will not contain
alcohol or protein.
29. Will stimulants added to my daily moisturizer increase circulation and promote hair growth? I'm referring to sage, peppermint, rosemary, menthol, tea tree oil, camphor etc.?
Adding a stimulant to your daily moisturizing products will leave you smelling "minty or medicated" - not exactly how I want to be remembered as having smelly hair. Plus it is not necessary to constantly stimulate the scalp. It is necessary just often enough to keep the hair cells producing and getting rid of waste, constant stimulation is not necessary and will not make them produce faster.
30. Because I don't see the shine and still see/feel
dryness, I apply a lot of Dew in hoping to see/feel a big difference.
Can applying to much Dew or any other moisturizer have a reverse effect
on the air making it dry?
If the product contains protein and/or alcohol, yes it can. Dew naturally
does not contain either.
31. Currently I'm using Soft Sheen Break Through with Dew for a moisturizer. Break Through adds moisture, however, it weights down my hair.
I do not recommend Break Thru. Not only does it have a lot of mineral
oil, it has a lot of protein which makes the hair hard. (see my News
page for this product review)
32. My goal is to stop or minimize the breakage, add shine, apply moisturizers that don't weight my down my hair, and add length. I use Break Thru and Dew. One difference that I have noticed is that I haven't had the need to make an appointment to get a touch-up!
You have found the benefit of Dew. Get rid of the Break Thru and you will be able to extend your retouch longer.
33. Can I make a hair moisturizer?
Why would you want to make a moisturizer? Before our lotion creme,
I have never made one myself. Try our creme, I think you will like it.
34. Do you sell a moisturizer for people with sensitive skin?
Nope, currently only Dew and Lotion Creme and neither are developed
for sensitive skin.